Tuesday, March 16, 2010

I've reached a new level of crazy

Tony reminds me weekly that our dog Shadow is getting older and that he isn't going to live forever. He's only kidding, but it still gets to me. It got me thinking that maybe I could improve the overall health of my dogs and extend their lives if I started making them homemade food. I did a little research and found that dogs need 1/3 protein, 1/3 vegetable, and 1/3 starch in their diets. Recommended combinations include ground chicken, ground beef, carrots, peas, brown rice, and pasta. I decided to start with carrots, pasta, and ground beef and see how my dogs liked it.




Here are the results. They loved it. How could they not? I've also tried a mixture of beef, rice, and carrots and they loved that too. The only downside to making homemade dog food is that it is a giant pain in the ass when you have two medium sized dogs. You have to make a ton of food at one time and freeze it or else you'll spend more time cooking for your dogs than you do for yourself, spouse, and kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */