Saturday, January 16, 2010

What happens in Tennessee should stay in Tennessee

I recently made a short trip to Tennessee for a family event of sorts. My cousin Olivia and I drove down together and this was our hotel room. It wasn't exactly dirty but also wasn't exactly nice either.




I have huge issues with hotel blankets and pillows due to a bad experience at a HoJo when I was in High School. The Dateline special using a black light to expose all of the filth and bodily fluids that are in even the nicest hotels only made matters worse. Much worse. Now I always travel with my own blankets, sheets, and pillows. I also wear socks at all times. Our room was much improved after I re-made my bed. For maximum comfort, I also brought my leopard printed Snuggie.


We stayed in a small town called Camden, population 3,800. My maternal grandmother grew up here and we used to visit my great-grandparents here every summer. I have childhood memories of there being nothing at all to do in Camden, and nothing has changed. There is a diner in town that serves breakfast all day, so we stopped by there for a meal. I did not order the frog legs.




My grandmother grew up eating scrambled brains and eggs and my mom tells horror stories of being fed them as a child. I also took a pass on this particular menu item.



I had two eggs over-easy, toasted white bread, sausage, and hashbrowns cooked in butter. Normally I would ask for whole wheat toast and turkey sausage but something told me that was not an option at the Downhome Diner. Breakfast was really good! That fact is probably directly related to the fact that everything was probably cooked in butter.




Olivia and my uncle Chuck had omelets and a side of bacon. Look carefully at the bacon. Do you notice anything unusual about it? It's not very flat... It's almost curly. As if it had been deep fried, which it probably was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
/* Use this with templates/template-twocol.html */